Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Refrigerator Muffins

Today I'm participating in the Works for me Wednesday Blog Carnival. Check out other posts by clicking on the graphic above.

Last Saturday I was out of milk. This is not good because Sunday morning's breakfast is usually cereal as we dash out the door to church. So I decided to try a recipe for refrigerator muffins.

Refrigerator muffins are basically a muffin batter that you mix up ahead of time and then store in your refrigerator. You can usually store the batter for 5 days. So anytime during that five days you can bake as many or as few muffins as you like depending on the amount of batter you have.

The first recipe I tried was for Refrigerator Bran Muffins. There are LOADS of these recipes on the internet. I, and you, have probably seen them hundreds of times. The recipe I used called for any type of bran flake cereal and then you could use (or not) any type of dried fruit. What I really liked about this recipe was that it called for oatmeal which is so healthy. I made mine with Fiber One flake cereal and dried blueberries. We had 12 on Sunday and then I made the kids some more on Monday. Today I had a little hunger pang in the mid morning and had the intense joy of popping one scoop of muffin batter in a sprayed glass cup and then microwaving for 45 seconds. Tasty little muffin with tea in no time!!! I like this!!

So, I decided to see what other types of refrigerator muffin recipes are out there. Here are a few links that I haven't tried yet, but plan to:

Refrigerator Sweet Muffins - several variations in this recipe

Pumpkin Bran Muffins - this one can be kept in the refrigerator for two weeks!

Molasses Muffins - this one can be stored for three weeks and makes a spice type muffin

Refrigerator Bran Muffin - this muffin takes the prize because it can be stored for six weeks.
If you have a good refrigerator muffin please let me know in the comments!

5 comments:

Ellen said...

I didn't realize that you could bake individual muffins in the microwave. What a great idea.

On Mondays, I have a meme for homeschoolers that you may be interested in joining.

Jill said...

I have done your Monday Meme once and I plan to do it again. Love your blog!

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MFava@aol.com (xanga.com/GraceatHome) said...

I love this! Never heard of them before but will definitely try them! Thanks for yet another praiseworthy thing, Jill. :)
Love, Dee

EW Spider said...

No no no, we...er, I...will not function normally if I know I'll have ridiculously easy access to muffins.

And that enormously helpful tip about microwaving muffins pretty much ruins my plans to cut back on baking during the hot summer months.

Oh boy oh boy I am going to tell everyone I know about this!