Sunday, April 27, 2008

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day

Recently I posted on the No-Knead bread I made. I've really enjoyed that recipe but wanted to learn to do more with it. Then I heard about Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day which is the same concept except you make a very large batch of dough and keep it in your refrigerator for up to two weeks. I finally got it from the library so I could try it out.

I made the Master recipe one afternoon in certainly no more than 10 minutes. It really was quick to put together. That night I made two EXCELLENT pizzas from the dough. Then I made a batch of orange rolls and a batch of cinnamon rolls for Sunday School the next morning. I felt the rolls needed a softer dough but they were tasty. My husband said the cinnamon "rocked" but didn't feel the orange went with the style of bread dough I used.

One week later there was still some dough in the refrigerator. I made some doughnuts with it. I had hot oil from fixing supper and so I scooped about a teaspoon of dough into the hot oil and cooked until golden brown and then dropped into cinnamon sugar. The taste was not quite what I think of when I have a doughnut but tasty. I'll try it again with the brioche recipe in the book.

With what's left I'm going to make...bread!

7 comments:

Terri said...

Jill,
Check out
http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?page_id=73"

There are evidentally some errors in the book and these are the corrections.

It's a wonderful book, though, isn't it?
Terri

Jill said...

Your right! I have been there and I should have posted that link here. Thanks for doing it for me!

EW Spider said...

Where's my bib? I'm drooling all over my laptop again.

Jill said...

Tanya you are funny. I'm making the brioche today! That should really make you droll.

Charm & Grace said...

Jill, as another homeschooling mom I am always looking for ways to do things in less time. I will have to look for this book. Thanks for sharing your experience with it! I love your blog and have visited often. Thanks for your thoughtful posts!

Blessings,
Christi

Jill said...

Thank you Christi! Your words are encouraging to me. I have enjoyed your blog too!

Barb-Harmony Art Mom said...

I have had this on my Amazon.com wishlist for some time now. I would love to get started making bread. Now I fear it is too hot to make it...sigh.

I will try again in the fall.

Thanks for sharing this book and your experience,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom