Saturday, February 07, 2009

Praiseworthy Book: Keeping House


I read a lot of books about home keeping and most are very practical books. They either teach you how to keep a home, how to keep it easier, how to have a schedule, how to...how to.... But I picked up a book at my library recently that was very different. The title was Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life.

This book is different in that instead of telling you how to keep house, it tells you why to keep house. Her argument is that keeping house is a way to love your family and to love God. In the process she debunks the currently held notion by many that keeping a house is a "waste of time" or mindless and unrewarding. I found her views to be challenging even to me, someone who already believes in the importance of a mother and homemaker. I found myself convicted and inspired by her thoughts. Check it out for yourself.