Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Make it Yourself

I have said here before that I like to make my food from scratch as much as possible. Last night I was able to finally find a way to make a convenience food from scratch that my family likes. In fact they like it better! Taco seasoning. That's right. We eat tacos several times a month and I always have relied on a packet of Taco seasoning. Well, last night I find a recipe on line and altered it for my family and I decided to post it here for those of you who might be looking for something similar.

Taco Seasoning
3 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1. To prepare the mix: in a jar, combine the chili powder, flour, cumin, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt; screw on lid and shake until completely mixed.
2. To prepare taco meat from the mix: Brown 1 pound of lean ground beef and drain off excess fat (reserving some drippings if desired). Mix with 1 finely chopped onion, 2 tablespoons garlic, a scant 1/4 cup of the seasoning mix and ½ cup water or pan drippings. Cook until the onion is translucent about 10 minutes.

That’s all there is too it. Make a double batch and freeze some for those nights you are in a hurry. I also use this meat as a filling for beef enchiladas.

2 comments:

Spinneretta said...

LOL. I once made my own cajun spice because I had run out. I kinda make them up as I go though... :D

PeakmoreAcademy said...

I enjoy reading your blog entries when they come into my RSS reader! So much so that I've awarded you the YOU MAKE ME SMILE award. You can read the details and snag the image over at my blog.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/PeakmoreAcademy

have a great weekend.